Monday, July 13, 2009

We represent the lollipop kid....

This is the song that Ben has been singing to Courtney ever since Thursday.  As we all know Courtney is very tiny.  She has been since she was born.  Well she started to decline on the charts and so our ped. had us do some tests on her.  They came back that she had a low growth hormone.  From there we went to see a specialist.  We did some more blood work and got the results of those back on Thursday.  We found that Courtney has Shox DNA.  This is what is causing her to not growth at a normal rate.  So our choices are to either give her shots everyday of growth hormones until she is around 14 to help her grow, or we can not do anything and see how tall she ends up.  If we don't give her the shots then her doctor said that she will probably only be 4 feet 5 or 6 inches with the max height of 4'10".  After hearing this a having a few tears come down on me, we decided that we want her to have the best life possible.  We don't want her to have to struggle with being small so we are going to start giving her these shots.  We started the paper work and that should be done in about a month and then we will start the shots sometime after that.  As I learn more about Shox DNA and what we need to do I will update and let you all know.  Now lets hope that she gets use to the shots fast so that we don't have to hold her down.  

6 comments:

Nancy said...

What she maybe missing in height she will make up for in personality.Court will always have friends. Glad you are doing the shots. It may be tough in the beginning but I think she will get used to them quickly

Heather said...

Probably a relief to have a diagnosis and you will soon be a pro at the shots, I am sure Court will be too. Darling girl no matter her size. (PS loving the girls hair, so cute!)

Kristi said...

I'm feeling so bad for her for years of daily shots, but I totally think you're doing the right thing. It will be hard but she will thank you for it eventually!

Autumn said...

I am sure she'll get used to them. And I am sure it is hard hearing that there is something abnormal about your child no matter how big or small. I think this is the exact thing that my niece has (Starlyn's girl.) She is a year older than Owen and probably 6 inches or so shorter. It's great that you have the option to be able to assist the hormones.

Rhonda said...

That's crazy! I hope it goes well for you guys. if not, she's the cutest little "lollipop kid" I've ever seen!

Mariah said...

Brooklyn, and Courtney are so cute in those pics... post some pics of NY, too!!!!!